Donald Methuen Fleming fonds [multiple media]
Record Information – Brief
Donald Methuen Fleming fonds [multiple media]
- Hierarchical level:
- R7987-0-9-E, MG32-B39
- Type of material:
- Textual material, Photographs, Architectural and technical drawings, Maps and cartographic material
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Link to this page:
This link identifies the web page describing this particular record. Unlike the temporary link in your browser, this link will allow you to access, and reference, this page in the future. To link to this descriptive record, copy and paste the URL where ever needed (wiki, blog, document).http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redirect?app=fonandcol&id=104446&lang=eng
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Fonds includes:
11 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- Place of creation:
- No place, unknown, or undetermined
40.195 m of textual records.
88 photographs b&w.
2 architectural plans, 1 plan and 1 blueprint;
2 atlases, bound, published.
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
Fonds consists of pre-parliamentary series, 1920-1946; parliamentary series, 1945-1963; leadership compaign, 1967, series, 1952, 1966-1968; post-parliamentary series, 1963-1968; memoir series, 1957-1982; clippings series, 1956-1963. Photographic material depicts the activities of the Honourable Donald M. Fleming; the Commonwealth Parliamentary Conference in Rome, Greece, and London, England, 1948; the Commonwealth Parliamentary Conference, Cross Canada Tour, 1952; the Commonwealth Parliamentary Conference, Kenya and Uganda, 1954, with such images as opening ceremonies and dinners; photographs with Donald Fleming, George Drew, George Hees, and John Diefenbaker; at a Polymer rubber plant in Sarnia, Ontario, 1961; the first Valiant car rolling off the Windsor Chrysler assembly line, 1959. aThe collection also consists of 8 maps dealing with electoral districts in Ontario including Eglinton, York West, York North, York-Sunbury, the city of Toronto and vicinity and the province as a whole. The maps are dated between 1934 and 1952 with several specifically related to the Representation Act of 1947. The remainder of the collection consists of material Fleming gathered during his term as a member of parliament. This consists of a blueprint (4 sheets) for post war housing for veterans, a report and maps on the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence deep waterway, and an atlas of the sacrifices of Greece in the Secord World War. There is also on plan of the Bank of Canada Building in Vancouver from 1961, and a map of "Ottawa and Environs and Gatineau Park, " from 1958.
- Biography/Administrative history:
Fleming, Donald M. (Donald Methuen), 1905-1986 : The Hon. Donald Methuen Fleming, Member of Parliament, Solicitor General, born at Exeter, Ont. on 23 May 1905, received his education from the University of Toronto and Osgoode Hall. He was called to the bar in 1928, and practised law with the firm Kingsmill, Mills, Price and Fleming, 1929-1957. He served Toronto in municipal politics as a representative for Eglinton, 1938-1945, a school trustee, 1938, and an alderman, 1939-1944. On city council, Fleming led the cause of city planning and social welfare through his membership on committees for Civic Property, Civic Works, City Planning, and Public Welfare. Fleming served in the House of Commons representing Eglinton, 1945-1963. As a member of Opposition, he was spokesman on Welfare and Social Security, 1945-1950, on Housing and on Radio Broadcasting, 1945-1956, on Trade and Commerce and on Defence Production, 1951-1956. As a member of the Government, Fleming served as Minister of Finance, Minister of Insurance and Receiver General of Canada. Later, in August 1962, he became Minister of Justice, Attorney General of Canada and Solicitor General. He ran unsucessfully for the leadership of the Progressive Conservative Party, 1948, 1956, 1967. After leaving politics, Fleming held a position with the Bank of Nova Scotia as managing director of their trust companies in Nassau and surrounding islands, 1968-1980. He returned to Canada in 1985.
- Finding aid:
Textual records (Electronic) Finding aid 1686 is a descriptive file list. MSS1686 (90: Open)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000311.pdfCartographic material. (Paper) An itemized listing is available. Fleming, D.M. 86702/1017. (90: Open)
- Additional information:
- General Note:
- Received in 1986 from the Hon. D.M. Fleming.
- Restrictions on access note:
- There are no restrictions on access to the maps or plans.
- Subject heading:
- Municipal government - Ontario, [between 1920-1946] Canada. Minister of Finance, [between 1956 and 1963]
- Cabinet ministers - Canada, [19-] Canada. Minister of Justice, [between 1956 and 1963]
- Columbia River - Development, [196-] Commonwealth Economic Consultative Council, [between 1957 and 1963]
- Housing - Canada, n.d. Commonwealth Trade and Economic Conference, [between 1957 and 1963]
- Trans-Canada pipeline, 1956 Canada. National Energy Board, [between 1957 and 1963]
- Pipelines - Canada, 1956 Canada. Joint Defence Committee, [between 1957 and 1963]
- Elections - Canada, n.d. Columbia River, [between 1957 and 1963]
- Governmental investigations - Canada, n.d. Gut Dam Claims Committee, [between 1957 and 1963]
- Speeches, addresses, etc. - Canada, n.d. Canada. Special Committee on Radio Broadcasting, 1945-1955
- Economic Conferences, [between 1957 and 1963] Canada. Prices Enquiry Committee, 1947-1948
- Elections - Canada, 1967 Canada. Standing Committee on External Affairs, 1945-1956
- Fleming family, 1963-1978 Canada. Banking and Commerce Committee, 1946-1958
- Donald Methuen Fleming - Biography, n.d. Canada. Treaties, etc. United States, 1961 Jan. 17, 1961
- Budget - Canada, 1958-1961 International Bank, n.d
- Canada - Commerce - Foreign countries, [between 1956 and 1963] International Monetary Fund, n.d
- Nuclear weapons, [between 1956 and 1963] Bank of Canada, n.d
- Pensions - Canada, [between 1956 and 1963] James Coyne, n.d
- European Economic Community, 1961-1962 Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, n.d
- Hommes politiques Canada
- Politicians Canada
- Columbia River Power Project, ca. 1963
- Former archival reference no.:
- Other accession no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
Photographs: no restrictions on use or reproduction. Copyright expired on items greater than 50 years old; various copyrights on items less than 50 years old. Credit: National Archives of Canada / name of photographer / copy negative number.
Copyright varies on published cartographic material. There are no restrictions on reproduction of the architectural records.
- Date modified: