Joseph Thorarinn Thorson fonds [multiple media]
Record Information – Brief
Joseph Thorarinn Thorson fonds [multiple media]
- Hierarchical level:
- R5018-0-7-E, MG31-E38
- Type of material:
- Textual material, Photographs, Sound recordings, Maps and cartographic material
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Link to this page:
This link identifies the web page describing this particular record. Unlike the temporary link in your browser, this link will allow you to access, and reference, this page in the future. To link to this descriptive record, copy and paste the URL where ever needed (wiki, blog, document).http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redirect?app=fonandcol&id=103780&lang=eng
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Fonds includes:
13 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- Place of creation:
8.58 m of textual records.
89 photographs : b&w and col.
2 audio reels (1 h, 30 min).
1 audio disc (ca. 10 min).
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
Fonds consists of a number of large series including World War I letters; political files; International Commission of Jurists; bilingualism; subject files; personal files; family correspondence and, Exchequer Court files. Fonds also consists of photographic material including portraits of Joseph Thorarinn Thorson; family members; Thorson as member of international juridical organization; Mr. Justice J.T. Thorson at an international convention of jurists, Athens, Greece, ca. 1955; portraits of Joseph T. Thorson and Mrs. Thorson; group photo of the Winnipeg Falcons executive, 1936; war veterans of the Parliament and of the Press Gallery, 1936; visits of Mr. Thorson in Greece, India, Great Britain, and Frobisher Bay, Northwest Territories; portraits of William Lyon Mackenzie King, 1937, 1940; photo of John McCauley, 1940; daguerreotypes of an unidentified couple. Fonds also includes sound recordings consisting of a speech given by J.T. Thorson; a Supreme Court decision; a CBO recording on 16 September 1941, of an address by J.T. Thorson, as Minister of National War Services. Fonds consists of electoral maps of Manitoba, maps pertaining to a court case addressing a property dispute in Nepean Township (Ontario), maps of Iceland, a map documenting the evolution of Canada's provincial boundaries and a map outlining northern development in British Columbia.
- Additional name(s):
- Finding aid:
Textual records (Electronic) The finding aid consists of descriptive file lists, arranged alphabetically or chronologically depending on the series. MSS1311 (90: Open)
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000903.pdfPhotographs (accession no. 1982-194) (Paper) See "Photographic inventories, indexes, and caption lists arranged by accession number." FA-500 (Restrictions not set)Cartographic material (Paper) Please consult lower level descriptions. Finding aid consists of an itemized listing. Thorson, J.T. 81202/2510. Available in the main reference room. (90: Open)
- Additional information:
- General Note:
- Received in 1981 and 1982 from Judge Donald Thorson of Toronto, Ont.
- Subject heading:
- World War, 1914-1918
- War and society, 1917-1918, 1941-1942 Canada. Canadian Army. 323rd Battalion, [1917-1918]
- Soldiers - Family relationships, 1917-1918 Canada. Canadian Army. 11th Canadian Reserve Battalion, [1917-1918]
- Soldiers - Canada - Correspondence, 1917-1918 Canada. Supreme Court, [1968-1974]
- Aileen Thorson - Correspondence, 1917-1918 Canada. Dept. of National War Services, [194-]
- Women and war - Canada, 1917-1918 Canada. National Resources Mobilization Act, [1941-1942]
- Canada. Income Tax Act, [1968-1974]
- Canada. Parliament. House of Commons - Committees, 1920, 1936-1941 New Brunswick. Supreme Court, [1968-1974]
- Canada - Officials and employees, 1928-1941 Appraisal Institute of Canada, [1921-1978]
- Canada Foundation, [1921-1978]
- Disarmament, [1928-1944] Canadian Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, [1921-1978]
- Canada. Parliament. House of Commons - Constituents, 1926, 1929 Canadian Citizenship Council, [1921-1978]
- World politics, [1928-1944] Canada. Exchequer Court, 1942-1964
- Emigration and immigration law - Canada, [1926-1941] Composers, Authors and Publishers Association of Canada, [1925-1978]
- Pensions - Canada, [1926-1941] Patent and Trademark Institute of Canada, [1921-1978]
- Canada. Parliament - Elections, 1926 International Commission of Jurists, [1907-1976]
- World War II - Canada, 1941-1942 Imperial Conference, 1941
- International Commission of Jurists - Records and correspondence, 1951-1978 League of Nations, 1928, 1932, 1938-1944
- International law - Canada, 1951-1978
- Canada - Languages - Political aspects, 1954-1978
- Rule of law, 1951-1978
- Judicial review, 1951-1978
- Legal documents - Canada, 1970-1974
- Law and politics, 1970-1974
- Law - Canada - Cases, 1970-1974
- Single Canada League - Records and correspondence, 1968-1975
- Political activists - Canada, 1968-1975
- Joseph Thorarinn Thorson - Family, 1916-1928
- Bilingualism - Canada
- Hommes politiques Canada
- Politicians Canada
- Great Britain
- World war, 1914-1918 Canada
- Former archival reference no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
Photographs (except those by Y. Karsh): No restrictions on use or reproduction. Various copyrights on items less than 50 years old; copyright expired on items greater than 50 years old. Credit: name of photographer / National Archives of Canada / copy negative number.
Photographs by Y. Karsh: See accession no. 1987-054 for restrictions and copyright.
Sound recordings: Reproduction or use in any form requires the written permission of the copyright holders.
Cartographic material: No restrictions on access. Reproduction subject to copyright act regulations. Credit: Library and Archives Canada.
- Date modified: