Noulan Cauchon fonds [multiple media]
Record Information – Brief
Noulan Cauchon fonds [multiple media]
- Hierarchical level:
- R5958-0-1-E, MG30-C105
- Type of material:
- Textual material, Photographs, Art, Architectural and technical drawings, Maps and cartographic material
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Fonds includes:
9 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- Place of creation:
- No place, unknown, or undetermined
2.52 m of textual records.
ca. 470 photographs b&w and col.
1 painting oil on wood panel.
48 technical drawings (some blueline prints, some plastic negatives)
ca. 272 architectural drawings (some on lantern slides and glass negatives)
ca. 436 maps (some blueline prints, some on lantern slides and glass negatives)
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
Fonds consists of the following series of textual records: correspondence (1901-1930); addresses and lectures, by Noulan Cauchon for the Town Planning Institute and other organizations (n.d., 1911-1929); notes prepared by Cauchon for his correspondence and addresses and newspaper clippings relating to Cauchon's activities (1899-1929); scrapbooks (1913-1931); subject files dealing with town planning and the Town Planning Institute (1908-1931); and reference material (1889, 1907-1939). Fonds also contains a variety of photographs, maps and architectural drawings some on glass lantern slides, and glass negatives, 1859-1930. Fonds consists of maps of the township of Gloucester, city of Hamilton and area, nomogram showing the duration of sunlight, a relief map of proposed federal capital district, a 1641 map of Cap de Tourmente area, a map dated 1927 of the area near the Ottawa railway station: Hexzagonal planning, adjustment of basic design to Dominion Land Survey standards, fig. 10. There are also maps of various nothern United States cities. The architectural and technical drawings include lantern slides, glass negatives, plastic negatives and some blueline prints relating to urban planning and buildings in various cities across Canada used for lectures by Noulan Couchon, town planner of the Federal District Commission. Fonds also includes a painting, oil on wood panel, of Joseph Edouard Cauchon, 1859. Work by Maurice Polak.
- Biography/Administrative history:
Cauchon, Noulan, approximately 1880-1935 : Noulan Cauchon, born ca. 1880 at Winnipeg, Manitoba, was the son of Joseph Edouard Cauchon. Joseph E. Cauchon was the first speaker of the Senate under Confederation and later Lieutenant Governor of Manitoba. Noulan Cauchon was an early advocate of town planning in Canada and of a federal district for Ottawa. He was Chairman of the Ottawa Town Planning Commission and Supervisor of Ottawa's zoning during the 1920s. He was one of the founders of the Town Planning Institute of Canada and served as its president, 1924-1926.
- Finding aid:
Textual records (Electronic) The finding aid is a file list. MSS0971 (90: Open)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000002727.pdfPainting (Electronic) Item level description available. (Restrictions not set)Cartographic material (Paper) Please consult lower level descriptions. (90: Open)Architectural, technical drawings (Paper) Please consult lower level descriptions. (90: Open)
- Additional information:
- General Note:
- The bulk of the material was transferred in 1975 and 1982 from the National Capital Commission through Rolf Latté of Heritage Unit. Presentation album (acc. no. 1991-094 DAP) was received from Therese Ulrich of Germany. The painting of J.E. Cauchon (acc. no. 1989-464X DAP) was received from Nowlan Cauchon.
- Subject heading:
- Speeches, addresses, etc., Canadian, n.d., 1911-1929 Town Planning Institute, [n.d., 1889, 1907-1937]
- City planning, [1889, 1907-1939] Canada, [n.d., 1889, 1907-1937]
- City planners - Canada, [n.d., 1889, 1907-1939] United States of America, [n.d., 1889, 1907-1937]
- Ottawa (Ont.) - City planning, [1889, 1907-1939] Europe, [n.d., 1889, 1907-1937]
- Lieutenant-governors - Canada, [1899, 1907-1939] Canada. Parliament. Senate, [n.d., 1889, 1907-1937]
- Canada. Parliament. Senate - Biography, [n.d., 1899, 1907-1939] Ottawa (Ont.), [n.d., 1889, 1907-1937]
- Legislators - Canada - Biography, [n.d., 1899, 1907-1939] Ottawa Town Planning Commission, Ottawa (Ont.), [n.d., 1889, 1907-1937]
- Canada. Parliament - Speaker, [n.d., 1899, 1907-1939]
- Regional planning - National Capital Region (Canada), [n.d., 1889, 1907-1937]
- Canada. Parliament - Speaker, [1889, 1907-1937]
- Former archival reference no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
Photographs: No restrictions. Copyright expired. Credit: Name of photographer / National Archives of Canada.
Painting: No restrictions. Copyright expired. Document must be consulted under close supervision for conservation reasons.
Cartographic, architectural and technical drawings: Credit: Library and Archvies Canada. Please consult lower level descriptions regarding access to or reproduction of this material. Researchers are requested to adhere to the Canadian Copyright Act.
- Date modified: